Sunday, July 24, 2011

Just Peachy

Who ever knew I'd spend time at a peach farm in Korea? Random, but true. My aunt took us to a friend's place out in the country where we BBQ'd and ate peaches all day long. Her friend had built several houses for people to stay there and we hung out with her friends watching movies, hiking, watching movies, and taking Korean yoga classes. I got to catch up on some sleep too and I finally feel like I'm not functioning nocturnally.

This is me, my mom, aunt, my cousin Jay, and my aunt's friend's daughter named Julia in front of the house we stayed at the peach farm.
But this is all yesterday news!

Today we drove to Pyungchang, the place where the 2018 Olympics will take place! On our way here, we stopped for lunch to have what is apparently the classic Korean soup to treat hangovers. Don't worry, it wasn't because I've been going crazy over here. But if you guys thought the cow stomach and intestines sounded gross..today's soup's specialty was cow blood. Cooked cow blood is what I would describe as flavorless, melt-in-your-mouth, dark, squarish chunks floating around in the soup. I wish I had stopped to take a picture! I wouldn't go as far as to say I loved it but I did enjoy it! I would have liked it a lot more if I hadn't been thinking the whole time..is there any part of cows Koreans don't eat?

A quick note about eating here..since I'm only staying for two weeks, my family wants me to experience all the best restaurants in each town so even if I'm not fully recovered and digested from the last meal, we sit down for another feast. For tonight's dinner, I ate my weight in meat. Everyone's literally trying to stuff me until it's physically impossible for me to pick up my chopsticks. Bryan, if you're reading this, I'm really hoping you'll be up for another couple days of raw food/detox dieting with me when I get back.

Not that it's related at all, but did you know that Koreans have heated toilet seats? It's a pleasant surprise and makes for quite a different experience! :)

I'll be in Pyungchang for another couple nights then I'm off to Gangneung!

No comments:

Post a Comment